How Much Vitamin C Per Day?
Tips to be Healthy
The first step is always the hardest. Health is the most important thing in life. Every man should strive for better health.
Facts About How Much Vitamin C Per Day Should I Take
If there is but one nutrient that your body needs to stay healthy, it must be vitamin C. The antioxidant can help the body to absorb the other nutrients it needs. It protects you from many harmful diseases.
But, did you know that you also cannot have too much vitamin C? While the lack of this helpful nutrient can make you feel weak and unwell, having a surplus of it also brings adverse effects to your body. It is good to know how much vitamin C per day do you need.
Recommended Daily Dose of Vitamin C
Age is the primary factor in determining your recommended daily dose of Vitamin. For a healthy person, you don’t need your doctor to tell you how much vitamin C per day you should take in your diet. You only have to consider how old you are.
See the list below to know how much Vitamin per day do you need according to your age.
- 0 to 6 months – 40 milligrams
- 7 to 12 months – 50 milligrams
- 1 to 3 years – 15 milligrams
- 4 to 8 years – 25 milligrams
- 9 to 13 years – 45 milligrams
- 14 to 18 years – 65 milligrams (girls), 75 milligrams (boys)
- 19 years and above – 90 milligrams (men), 75 milligrams (women)
The list provides the recommended daily dose of vitamin C for a healthy person. Some health conditions may also need you to take more or fewer amounts of vitamin C. For those who smoke, you need to add 35 milligrams to your daily dose. Pregnant and breastfeeding women also need to take more vitamin C than their regular daily dose.
Signs Of Having Too Much Vitamin C
When does vitamin C become harmful? According to the Office of Dietary Supplements, the upper limit to how much vitamin C per day that adults should get is 2,000 milligrams. If your body tends to store too much iron, then you need to see your doctor for a prescribed amount.
You will know if you have had too much vitamin C if you experience the following symptoms:
- Stomach cramps
You may not need to worry about getting too much vitamin C if you rely on fruits and vegetables as your source. But, be careful when taking dietary supplements. Always check the label to see how much vitamin C per day it can give you.
Some Facts About Supplements
You may have been one of those people who believe that vitamin C supplements can treat common colds. However, health experts do not support that claim. Although, regularly taking vitamin C supplements can help reduce instances of the common colds.
Vitamin C may have several benefits, but there is also a flip side to these benefits. It is good to know the truth about this matter. Here are some facts on the effects of vitamin C dietary supplements in treating certain illnesses.
- Cancer – Everybody knows that vitamin C helps lower the risk of getting certain types of cancer. However, vitamin C supplements cannot protect people from getting the disease. Scientists even warn that these dietary supplements may interfere with chemotherapy. Vitamin C is still no cure for cancer.
- Cardiovascular Disease – Eating lots of fruits and vegetables can indeed help keep you away from disease. But, no research has proven that vitamin C protects people from cardiovascular disease. Vitamin C may only be helpful because of the antioxidants it provides the body.
- Age-related Macular Degeneration – Here is another hazy claim. Some people say that vitamin C can help lower the risk of vision loss and cataracts in older people, but scientists do not believe this claim. There is still not much evidence to support it.
You can never be too confident about dietary supplements. They should only come after a proper diet and a healthy lifestyle. That is a reason they are called supplements.
Always seek the advice of health professionals when considering supplements in your diet. You cannot have too much or too little vitamin C. You need to know if you have a surplus or deficiency and only your doctor can tell you that. If you have been eating healthy meals every day, then you might not need those supplements at all.
Putting a teaspoon of salt is an essential step in preparing most recipes, as is having a salt shaker on the table so everyone can season to their liking. But, have you ever wondered how much salt per day should we consume to have good health?
One thing that is clear is that people are getting fatter. In nearly every country the rates of obesity are becoming a ticking time bomb. So the time has come to take some action on our waistlines and look at how much fat per day we should consume.
Adults require about 25-30 grams of fiber from food, currently, in the USA the average adult eats about 15 grams per day.
You may ask how can I eat 25 grams a day, and it is really quite easy. Start with whole grains in the morning,